Sunday, August 04, 2002

Sziget music festival in Budapest

On a whim I decided to go to the Sziget music festival in Budapest. So I took a train that was all screwed up, and because of that the train company in Germany put me up in a hotel in Dresdin for the night. Me and this guy I met drank a lot there.

I spent 10 hours in a little train compartment with 5 other people. That was pretty awful, but the people were nice and eventually made it to Budapest. I felt really bad for this Romaninan guy who was smoking with his ear (he had an interesting excuse), and kept getting questioned because he was Romanian. It must be something like being an Arab in Israel. No one seemed to trust him. The five uof us got our passports glanced at, but he was scrutiniyed at every step.

I am staying with "E" in Budapest. She is wonderful, and a big help.

I went to the festival yesterday. It was cool. There are all these tents and music playing and stuff going on. I don't think I heard of any of the bands. I stayed there till about 7AM this morning.

I ate all these Hungarian foods. I had langos, kürtos kolacs, and Turorudi. I feel so traditional.

A few Words about this Türorudi. It sucks. All Hungarian children seem to love it, but it really tastes awful. Hungarians do not understand why foreigners can't stomach it. The thing is this chocolate covered stick of cottage cheese. Both the chocolate and the cottage cheese tase like what Orwell would call Victory Chocolate. It is this dry, brittle, bitter chocolate that the comunists told you was good, so you ate it. Now everyone is grown up and they still like it. People who were not raised on communist food will be unable to eat this. This is one thing Hungarian culture will never export.