Wednesday, August 21, 2002

Street fair in Berlin

I went to a a street fair on Sunday near the Berlin Zoo. As street fairs go this one was pretty good. They had a zillion booths, half of them making and selling food. Many selling suvineers, t-shirts, and other knickknacks. Because of the upcoming election there were also political booths for the Green party as well as the two major parties. Oddly enough, though I am sometimes sympathetic with the German left (frankly, the German right gives me the creeps) I cannot seem to sympathize with someone wearing a T-shirt that says "sozialist".

I was pretty scared to eat most of the food at the fair, as it all looked like scary meat and I really had no idea what any of it was.

Oddly enough many countries had booths there and you could see many little German children walking around with Israeli flags which they got from the Israeli booth which sold felafel and gave out JNF literature.

There was also a fashion show. There were a lot of models walking up and down a runway wearing nice enough clothing. It was nice. So were the models.

I realize that going to these things is really no fun alone. I really do not enjoy them as much when I am by myself.