Sunday, August 11, 2002

European keyboards

Someone really needs to do something about all these messed up keyboards they have in countries that are not the US. Here in Germany there are all these extra keys that I have little use for, they mess up the "Y" and "Z" keys, and you need to press three keys to type an "@" and you just have to figure this out. In Budapest, I was using a Norwegian keyboard (don't ask), and there they also had the funny way to type "@", but they had some even stranger keys (like that mushed together AE letter from the olden days), and it didn't let me write all the Hungarian characters. (Hungarian has two different kinds of umlauts.) These problems can go on and on.

Now though I have not read any of those backpacker guides to anywhere, there ought to be a warning that travelers may be frustrated when using these weird keys. Moreover I bet it would be helpful if some internet cafes had regular (read American) keyboards, and one of them guides told you which one it was. I bet that they would do well with backpackers.