Saturday, August 24, 2002

Synagogue and drinking in Berlin

At the synagogue last night I ran in to "Professor K" who I know from Heidelberg. It was odd running in to someone I know (who is originally from New York) in Berlin, but the Jewish world is that small.

After the service I had to go and meet my flatmates (I can't believe I just used the British term for roomates!) For dinner, while "A-" and "K" went to eat at the local Chabad rabbi's house. The spokesman for the Israeli embassy in Germany was eating there too, and I walked then a bit and chatted with him. He was really friendly, just like you would expect a spokesperson to be, full on interesting stories, and never at a loss for words.

I then met my flatmates (about a half hour late) for dinner at Monsiour Voung, a Chinese restaurant. I had some good food there, and lots of wine while we all chatted about stuff. From there we went to this nice little artificial beach along the river, which had about a million people there at the same time. We found some nice sand to sit on and hung out there for a while drinking Beer and cocktails. Then we went to this other bar in Mitte, called Bargshtube and had more beer. Then the police came and told them to keep the noise down. We then left and went to Fun, another not so great bar, whose ambiance we did not really like, so we left. Then we tried this other bar, but it was closed, so we all went home. We got home at around 4:30 in the morning.