Monday, November 11, 2002

Sideshow in SoHo

I went to see a sideshow on Saturday night at the SoHo Playhouse on Vandam Street. It was a lot of fun. It was actually somewhat better than I expected. I found out about it about an hour before I went, so I really didn't have time to form too sophisticated an expectation. The guy's name is Todd Robbins. He does the sideshow on Coney Island. The dude ate a glass lightbulb, blew up a hot water bottle till it burst, did some electricity tricks, and swallowed swords. There was also a knife thrower and a contortionist (who was so-so) too. It was a lot of fun. I went with "M" and "S" and "S" and about 7 other people. He spent a lot of time explaining that what he did was all an art, and at the end he seemed almost sad that it was a dying art.

We all went to The Other Room in TriBeCa for drinks, and then to Biny for Sushi and more drinks. The sushi there was good. Bini is a karoke place. There were these Japanese guys rapping in Japanese. It was very comical. We did a little singing ourselves, though yours truly stayed away from the mike. We broke up at around 4:30.