Wednesday, July 10, 2002

Yesterday I met ''E'' in Heidelberg. She lives in Budapest, but came here for a conference. I will likely see her again tonight with I and S. It was sheer luck that she is here. We did coffee, and had some Turkish food (lahamajud?). It was really good. I wandered around a lot. I got lost a bit, but fortunately Heidelberg is not so big, so it is easy to find stuff. the people are generally also quick to help a lost foreigner.

Today it is raining in Heidelberg, so I am not sure what I will be doing.

My university-supplied email has now been down for about 24 hours. I cannot get in touch with anyone. About a month ago the same thing happened, and the problem was not reslved for 3 days and they simply lost all the email. They ought to fire whoever is responsible for the email in the City University of New York. He is an incompetent person, and would not last 2 minutes in a company where he was accountable to someone. Unfortunately, it is as simple as having power. If there is no one you have to answer to to keep your job, then there is little incentive to do the job well, and he does not. I wonder if the president of the university uses email.

No comments: