Saturday, July 20, 2002

Is internet dating related to the security issue?

I walked around Jerusalem tonight. It is a bit depressing. So
few people were out, as compared to any other Saturday night of any previous trip of mine to the country - and I have been here many times. Every cafe, restaurant, and bar seems to have a very prominent security guard, most actually search you
before you enter. This goes way beyond the standard b'dikat HaTik that Israelis always expect. There is nothing carefree about going out in Jerusalem. Tel Aviv though is much better.

I am not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I hear that dating over the internet is quite well accepted here. Many many people meet and go out over the interenet, and this often leads to quite successful relationships. This seems like a much safer enviornment to many people then to be out meeting people in very big public places. I'll have to think about whether these are related. Any thoughts from the audience?