Friday, July 26, 2002

Buying Olives Machne Yehuda - or, why I love this country

Today, despite all state department warnings, I made my way to the Machne Yehuda market and then the center of town, mostly to pick up some stuff. I got Broeakas, Coke, lettuce, and oilves.

In the olive stall I had a rather typical Israeli experience. I bought NIS 12 worth of olives (about $3)I only had a NIS 100 bill, so the guy asked if I had NIS 2. I did not, so he gave me NIS 90 in change and indicated with a hand motion that I should just give him the other NIS 2 on my way back. So I took my stuff and left.

About a half hour later I am leaving the market and I pass the olive guy and hand him the NIS 2. He gave me half a look and put the money away. He did not bother to ask why I gave him the money. I told him that I owed it to him, and he said "I remember".

There was little question in this guy's mind that he would get his NIS 2. It obviously did not occur to him to be surprised when he did. I am glad the country is still like that. Few places are that trusting. Few places can afford to be. Israel is, because Israel can.

Security was tight there. The mood seemed a bit more apprehensive than normal. Fewer people about, and more soldiers, more checks, and fewer entrance and exist points. Damned terrorists really are winning people are changing their lives to avoid public places. Israel, and the world really needs to solve the terrorism problems soon before staying at home becomes a way of life.