Monday, October 20, 2003

The Usual Anti-Semetic/Zionist Tirades - Now in English

I think I spoke too soon when I originally said that the Novel Dreaming of Palestine would stay in French. Now it is being published in the US by George Braziller and by the American University of Cairo in Egypt.

It was recently translated without much new fanfare by a former student in my own university (a TOTALLY different department and historical epoch than mine, thankfully). She is incidentially an ex-Jew, now Christian who lived in Italy for a bit and now translates stuff from Italian to English. I suppose someone had to translate it, but now I realize that the (roughly) 50 year old translator did a better job because she too had an anti-Jewish chip on her shoulder, just like the 15 year old author.

And, as long as we're on the subject of the French. . . nothing new here.