Sunday, October 12, 2003

Succot and Music Gossip from the 'hood

I was in Brooklyn today to enjoy succot with some Booklyners. I had lunch with the folks and then went to visit "Y" and his family. Then I hung out with "S" for a bit and returned to Manhattan.

Being in Brooklyn gives me a chance to catch up on my Flatbush gossip. Today I learned about the new Flatbush bands. Apparently Jewish music is evolving from the Miami Boys Chior and Country Yossi stuff (not that they were bad) to something new. I have not yeard heard any of them, but there is a lot of talk about some "Blue Fringe" (reminiscient of techelet) group. Naturally various Roshei Yeshivos have forbidden it. But that is the Yeshiva Equivelant of being banned from MTV: suddenly everyone NEEDS to hear it. If they are annoying Roshei Yeshivos they must be doing something right. Mordechai Ben David never pissed off a Rosh Yeshiva.