Thursday, October 09, 2003

Drilling in the Army

This past weekend I went on my first "drill" with my reserve unit. It was actually kind of boring. I got to meet the members of my team. It was a long trip in the morning, but I will get used to it. The members of my unit are actually all pretty nice. I think it will be nice working with them for a while. It seems like I got lucky. My Sergeant is decent and seems to care about her soldiers, and is willing to work on their behalf. There is not much more you can want in a superior officer.

A passing officer actually asked me if I wanted to leave early on the (correct) assumption that I was Jewish and needed to make it in time for Yom Kippur. That was quite nice of him. I pretty much told him that I would make it on time if I left on time, which is true. I assume he knew that, but wanted to tell me that if there were Jewish Issues I'd be OK. I assume I can expect to be understood like this in New York.

Now I feel like I am in the Army. I am part of a unit.