Sunday, September 04, 2005

Flying Saucer is back

The Flying Saucer Cafe is now open again. It used to be an OK place to work, but yet, as I recall, everytime I got there it was about to close. If I got there at 2 PM, then they were closing at 2:30 or 3:00. If I got there at 5:30, they were closing at 6:00. It generally seemed arbitrary. It also used to have this stupid look of old crap thrown together.

Now however, they seemed to reopen. They also seem to have a new attitude. They claimed that they were open till 7:00, which is still pretty early, but not all that bad. They also went a bit more minimalist on the decor, which is a big plus. Their garden, which was pretty nice, is now upgraded in my book to very nice, since they threw out a lot of the garbage that was in it. I think they also got some better furniture.

Their staff also seems friendly.

It is on Atlantic Avenue between Nivens and Third in Brooklyn. The coffee is not bad, and I am told neither are the other things. Give them time to get the rest of their menu up and running.

4 comments:

bec said...

"as I recall, everytime I got there it was about to close. If I got there at 2 PM, then they were closing at 2:30 or 3:00. If I got there at 5:30, they were closing at 6:00. It generally seemed arbitrary. It also used to have this stupid look of old crap thrown together."

sounds like bissaleh, except that everytime i'd go there, they were closed due to a board of health violation. and when they were open, you could expect that they'd close soon. but even though the roaches were the size of my palm, they still had the best malawach in brooklyn.

karl said...

Bissaleh is like the only place I know of where you can get good malawach in New York. I have actually taken to making them myself these days. It is like one of the 4 things I actually know how to prepare. But I am getting really good at it.

bec said...

yeah, i know what you mean. do you make your own ajin? or do you get it prepared? up here you can't get jacnun or any of that yummalcious stuff, so for the fall, i've decided that i'm going to spend a few days making homemade malawach,jacnun,(& tons of bourekas)to freeze so i don't die from yemenite withdrawal.

karl said...

Now you can actually buy frozen Jachnun and Malawach if you know where to shop. They are pretty good. Really.