Sunday, September 29, 2002

Muslim Day Parade

I was walking down 5th ave today, I passed by Madison Square Park (that's the one around 24th street) where they were holding the Muslim Day Parade. I spent about a half hour listening to people speak in half Arabic/half English trying to convince the media that Islam has is a religion of peace, though frankly they themselves didn't sound too convinced. I also listened to a bunch of Black Muslims who really looked like they were not sure what their relationship to the Arabic speakers was supposed to be.

Some representative of the Moonies spoke as well.

There was a lone person on a tiny cardboard makeshift table there with a small "Muslims Against Terrorism" sign. I assume that he was interviewed by all the members of the press earlier, but when I was standing next to his table, he looked pretty alone.

I was accosted by a psychotic Lyndon LaRouche groupie there. I guess they feel like a Muslim gathering is a safe place to be anti-semitic.