Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Fringe Festival

Tonight I went with nyreads to see Elements of Style, part of The New York International Fringe Festival.

Oddly enough, I actually enjoyed it (more than nyreads, I think).

Basically it was a one-woman show about a copy editor for some of Conde Nast's magazines. The actress plays a number of roles where she is ostensibly trying to go through the interview process for a number of people for the job of copyeditor. She waxes poetic about the virtues of the emdash and the comma while giving us a good picture of what it is like to work for these publications.

The set was simple and there was even some audience participation, though I didn't get to participate. I think the acting needs some polish, but it was cute and there was enough humor to make it worth the trip.

No comments: