Tuesday, April 01, 2003

Taxi Driver Wisdom

Yesterday I was in a cab and I asked the driver if there was anything interesting on the news. Naturally he told me. And he told me.

The Americans, he explained, have an ideology and rally behind their flag and their president. He claimed that such was not true about the Israelis. He went so far as to claim it was never true. That really shocked me that it was like that. I thought that such might have been true since 1980 or maybe even since the mid 70's, but he was quite serious.

I was somewhat taken aback. Then he went on to criticize Americans for being 1) so naive and squeamish, and 2) for caring about Iraqis. He says that it is obvious that if we just bombed the hell out of the place and then invaded with massive amounts of ground forces we would loose some people but we would just get the whole thing over with quickly. So we loose a few hundred people, he says. It would be worth it. Moreover, he claims that we should not try to hard with the Iraqi soldiers. They are not people who deserve the mercy that the US is giving them.

I was not all that much in the mood to argue with a cab driver, moreover I had to get off.