Tuesday, January 14, 2003

Jewish Einstein

Einstein has this famous line attributed to him that goes something like "If my theories are correct then to the Germans I am a German and to the French I am a citizen of the world. If my theories are wrong then to the French I am a German and to the Germans I am a Jew." The line is famous and of course very accurate where everyone wants to make sure to cover their backs and reap the most rewards with the least risk. But there is a third clause that Einstein, ever the diplomat, omitted. That line is: "Wether I am right or wrong, to the Jews I am always Jewish." Regardless if the history of science judges him to be the author of the great theory of relativity, or the author of the mistaken theory of relativity, he has earned himself an eternal place in any encyclopedia of great Jews.